Bathroom renovations are the most common way to update your home here on the Gold Coast. It can be as simple as updating an outdated style or adding a brand new bathroom in an extension to cater to your needs. Both can be challenging so we want to help owners make the best, most cost-effective decisions at the beginning.
- ASBESTOS CONTAINING MATERIAL: bathrooms are one of the most common places to find asbestos and it is extremely dangerous to everybody. If your house was built prior to 1990, or you unsure of age you should get it tested. It is the ONLY way to know for certain whether it is, or is not. It costs approximately $150 for a professional to come out and safely take a sample. It will be the best money you spend to protect your family.
- CAVITY SLIDING UNITS: are an excellent space saving entry to your new bathroom if floorspace is a premium
- MOULD, MOULD, MOULD: Moisture is plasterboards worst enemy, you need to install an exhaust fan into your bathroom ceiling or wall to remove the moisture. We will make sure it is connected to ducting to pump it outside to minimise the chance of growth.
- WALL TILES: floor to ceiling wall tiles are definitely the trend, it helps to achieve a nice clean finish, and it also minimises trades required for your renovation (no painter).
- FLOOR TILES: Ever had a close call on the bathroom or shower floor? When looking around at your options for floor tiles make sure they have an appropriate slip resistant rating. Also some tiles require sealing when laid to avoid staining, and will require re-sealing after a period of wear and tear it is important to maintain your investment as all tiles will last a life time if cared for.
- NICHES: Need to be accessible whilst in the shower but are best if they are as far away from the water source to avoid water pooling. The tiles should be angled so the water runs out of the niche but not getting water there in the first place is better.
- MIXER or COMBO POSITION: A well designed shower includes screen position and how you will turn the taps on and off. For example you should be able to reach the flip mixer without having to get your arm wet every time you turn it on/adjust it.
So, I hope these few tips help you get started on your bathroom renovation design or at least some questions to ask your builder. We are here to help, so let us know what you want to know.